CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »





Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sight Word Activities

Hey Y'all! I thought I would take the opportunity to post some of the things my kiddos do with their sight words.

Sight Word Hamburgers
Many of you have probably seen sight word sandwiches done before, but I decided to mix it up a bit. My kids are OBSESSED with hamburgers (probably because that is how we "write" in my class). Anyhow, this is a super easy activity to make and play. Find construction paper. I used Manilla for the buns, orange for cheese, brown for the meat, green for lettuce, white for onions and red for tomatoes. Trace your shapes and add words. I made 12 of each (24 of the manilla buns since there is a top and bottom) I found my words on this website http://www.mrsperkins.com/dolch.htm. I really liked it because it sorted the words in all ways and also included common nouns that are helpful. I also added contractions to mine. Before you laminate, be sure to add you sesame seeds to the top buns!

To Play: kids lay out all the pieces in a pile and build their burgers. As they pick a ingredient they have to say the word. Their partner "checks" their words as they go and helps them if they get it wrong. My kids somehow started making a "eating sound" after they made a complete burger. It brings a smile to my face, so I don't discourage them! Ha!



Sight Word Swat:

Buy two fly swatters for a dollar at the dollar store. Write words on the board. Divide the kids into 2 groups. Say a sight word (or vocabulary, etc). First kid to "swat" the word earns a point for their team. This is also fun to play with synonyms and antonyms. Makes them think!

Sight Word Bingo and Board Games:

I found some fabulous board games and bingo templates especially for second grade here I believe they are designed for grades K-3 if you don't teach second grade but want to get in on the fun (or differentiate!). Kids love these games as well. For bingo markers we use some of our math manipulatives.

Sight Word Typing:

This is one of my favorites! I originally saw this idea on pinterest. I changed it a bit to fit my kiddos more. When a student pulls a word form a bag they follow the following procedure:
  1. Say the word
  2. Type the word
  3. Write the word
I LOVE this one because it has them speaking, recognizing where letters are on a keyboard (technology is PAINFUL with my kids!) and also writing them- great for spelling and handwriting!

To make these computer stations I printed the keyboard, trimmed it and glued it to a piece of card stock. Print the sight word cards from the same website you got your keyboard at. I added to mine just like I did in the sight word hamburgers. Be sure to laminate the computer screens so words can erase easily! 

Here is a picture of mine:


Popcorn Sight Words:

For this fun game I saved myself lots of time (why re-invent the wheel?) by downloading this FREE and fabulous set of popcorn words and printing them on card stock. Laminate and cut out. Put them in a popcorn container. I found mine 2 for a dollar at the dollar store (can you tell I'm a big fan of the dollar store yet? ha) but I have also seen them on occasion at Target in the dollar spot. I really like the size of these at the dollar store. Directions come with the printout and are easy to follow and fun to play! Kids love choosing pieces, saying the words and trying not to get a "POP!"

Those are just a few of the activities I do in my classroom for sight word practice. What types of things work for your kids?


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment